Rainey Taylor, the Sales Manager at our Center, brings today’s reflection to us. It is based on many great lessons from Scripture. Let’s take a moment to read Rainey’s insights that have given her peace and comfort throughout her life.
Remember Who God is…..
As a young child I distinctly remember being aware of the presence of God. I’m not sure I knew exactly what that meant; but I do know that He was mine. He was mine to talk to, to watch amazing sunsets with, to ride my bike with; God was always there.
Then tragedy struck my life. As a six-year-old little girl, my Mom who was full of light, laughter and love got sick and passed away. I was the only girl with three much older brothers and a grieving father. I was left to navigate this “new normal” alone. My physical needs were all taken care of, but the emotional and spiritual ones were left up to me to find my way through. For quite a while I remember every time people saw me, they cried; I didn’t know how to act, I didn’t know what to do.
I then remembered my God. At times, people blamed Him for this tragedy, but for some reason I never did. I held on to Him remembering He was mine and no one could take that away from me.
Thinking through this as I grew older, there is always still the sadness for what my Mom missed, what I missed, and what my kids and grandchildren missed. But, overlying all that sadness was God and all the ways He sheltered me. I remember who He is and what that means. The best way for me to remember is to recall the names of God.
- God is Elohim – He is your Creator – this makes Him the creator of you and all the rest of the beauty in this world. “I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made” Psalm 139:94a
- God is Elohim Chayin – He is the Living God – He did not remain in the tomb
- God is Abba- He is your father, Daddy. “So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, Abba, Father.” (Romans 8:15)
- God is Jehovah Jireh – The Lord will provide. Remember the story of Abraham and Isaac and the Lord provided the lamb for the sacrifice, then the greatest gift the Lord provided was Jesus, the Lamb of God.
- Jehovah-Shalom – The Lord is Peace – Jesus said, “These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation but take courage; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)
- He is Elyon – He is Sovereign over us and the whole world.
- He is El Kanna – The jealous God. He is the God who pursues us no matter where we try to hide.
- He is El Roi – He is the God who sees – He knows every bump, bruise, joy and sorrow you face and He weeps or laughs with you.
- He is Jehovah Ro’i – He is your Shepherd – He is always watching and caring for you.
- He is Emmanuel – God with us. This is the definition of heaven meeting earth.
There are many other names of God, I shared these to make the important point, that God’s got you! He’s your creator, your Daddy, your provider, your healer and He is with you always. He has covered all the bases. Invite Him along on this journey of your life and He will bring you peace.
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33