Today’s reflection is brought to us by Brenda Nelson. She is the Regional Program Coordinator for the Sisters of Bon Secours Associates in South Carolina and Florida. Brenda shared this with the associates and is extending it to our broader community. Please take a few moments to join us in community as we pray for peace and respect for all.
In Pursuit of Justice…Black Lives Matter… All Lives Matter
Let’s shift our focus from the COVID-19 Virus to another pandemic that has been plaguing our nation for the last 400 years, a virus that has come to be identified by many as Racism 1619 (1619 – the year that the first slaves arrived in this country).
We pause in this moment to remember, reflect, and become relentless in our pursuit of justice. As we are reminded in the words of the late Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. – “injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere”. And then the words of the great prophet Micah: “Mankind, He has told each of you what is good and what it is the Lord requires of you: to act justly, to love faithfulness, and to walk humbly with your God.” (Micah 6:8) CSB
Let Us Pray:
Our Father, we approach You in yet another tumultuous season in the life of this nation, one marked by pain, trauma, righteous anger, and grief. We pray for real change, not for a season but one that is systemic, not to be politically correct but to be morally correct, a change that will penetrate hearts and change generational mindsets.
And God, we seek your divine protection for every African-American male, we pray for our husbands, sons, grandsons, brothers, nephews, and spiritual sons that You, Father, would hide them under the wings of the Almighty. During this season of unrest, victimization by those in authority, encounters with the law that have turned fatal, we pray for Divine intervention, protection, healing of wounds that continue to be open, and true reconciliation.
Father, we pray for mothers of African-American sons, whose anxieties have surged and trauma is present in the face of “what ifs”. God, give these mothers rest in the midst of their sleepless nights, grant them calm in the chaos, and increase their faith in the face of fear that an encounter may become fatal for their son. In Jesus Name…Amen.
Let Us Pause for 8 Minutes and 46 Seconds….In Remembrance
- Mr. Trayvon Martin (17) – February 2012 (Sanford, Florida)
- Mr. Erik Garner (43) – July 2014 (New York, NY)
- Mr. Michael Brown (18) – August 2014 (Ferguson, Missouri)
- Mr. Akai Gurley (28) – November 2014 (New York, NY)
- Mr. Tamir Rice (12) – November 2014 (Cleveland, Ohio)
- Mr. Eric Harris (44) – April 2015 (Tulsa County, Oklahoma)
- Mr. Walter Scott (50) – April 2015 (North Charleston, SC)
- Mr. William Chapman, II (18) – April 2015 (Portsmouth, VA)
- Mr. Sam Dubose (43) – July 2015 (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Mr. Jeremy McDole (28) – September 2015 (Wilmington, Deleware)
- Mr. Jamar Clark (24) – November 2015 (Minneapolis, Minn.)
- Mr. Alton Sterling (37) – July 2016 (Baton Rouge, La.)
- Mr. Philando Castile (32) – July 2016 (St. Anthony, Minn.)
- Mr. Freddie Gray (25) – July 2016 (Baltimore, Md.)
- Mr. Terence Crutcher (40) – September 2016 (Tulsa, Oklahoma)
- Mr. Botham Jean (26) – September 2018 (Dallas, Texas)
- Mr. Ahmaud Arbery (25) – February 2020 (Brunswick, GA)
- Mr. Steven Taylor (33) – April 2020 (San Leandro, CA)
- Mr. Sean Reed (21) – May 2020 (Indianapolis, IN)
- Mr. George Floyd (46) – May 2020 (Minneapolis, Minn.)
*** And too many others…..